28 February 2011

don't waste cancer


we found out last week that my step-dad has cancer.  although we weren't shocked, it has still been more difficult than we had expected.  my step-dad is a solid steady rock and an incredible leader for our family.  as i was contemplating the trial that lies ahead for my family it made me long for heaven.  it made me hunger for the moment when this struggle is a faint memory.  it reminded me of 2 corinthians 4:17,

" for this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen.  for the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal". 

even though all we can see right now is cancer and suffering that will pass away and what will last is Christ and the treasure that awaits all of us in heaven.  even though, i long for heaven i don't want my family or i to waste this experience by wishing it away.  my mom pointed out that " this has already passed through the hands of our loving God so we can trust that this is what is best for us right now".  those words are true but hard to live out with the scary things of life confront us.   my parents faith during this time is not only encouraging to me but challenging.  this article by john piper also challenges me to redeem, not waste, this season and to trust that it is what's best for my family.  even thought this article is tailored to cancer you can really fill in the blank for any trial that you are currently going through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment